Monday 1 June 2015

Honey, I Shrunk the Kit! # 1

This is such an exciting day and one I've been looking forward to for the past few months!!!!

My wonderful bloggie friend Hazel of Hazel's Paper Designs sent me an email asking if I would be interested in starting a shared card kit to create some 'Clean and Simple' cards. She also approached another fabulous friend of mine, Sarah of Funky Fossil Designs. Of course Sarah and I both said yes and our little three person 'Honey, I Shrunk the Kit!' group was born!!

Hazel was inspired by the '12 Kits of Occasions' posts she has seen in blogland. So she gathered up some supplies (no more than 8) and posted them to us. She decided on the theme of 'Gratitude'. This is what she included:


She included a piece of yellow cardstock, piece of yellow patterned paper. There were also some stamped sentiments, an image on watercolour paper, some twine and bubble die-cuts. And one white card base. The twine, sentiment stamps and paper/CS are from Stampin' Up! The bubble dies are from CAS-ual Fridays. The little girl image is from Tamar Nahir-Yanai. All so very cute!!

As usual I spent weeks mulling it over in my head and left it until late Friday night to get cracking!! For my first card I couldn't wait to try out some watercolouring:


I used my Distress Inks to gently watercolour the little girl and then used the smallest square waffle die (from QuicKutz) to cut her out. I then used the larger one with the patterned paper and then, I had a disaster! I used the wrong sized die on the yellow CS (eeekkk!) so used a piece of my own (DCWV) for the largest layer. The bigger squares were glued together and onto the card front. I popped the image on some foam tape. She is such a cutie!!!


For my second card I used my brand new Paper Smooches 'Fancy Frame Icons' dies to cut out two frames from the patterned paper and one from the yellow CS. I cut out one of the stamped sentiments and glued it to the inside of the frame. The smaller frames were adhered to the card front (overhanging the sides and trimmed) and the bigger one popped up on foam tape. I added yellow sequins from Pretty Pink Posh and turquoise from Avery Elle.


For my last card I wanted to add some colour to the stamped sentiment but don't have any markers, so I very gently did some watercolouring with Distress Inks again. I used a small circle die (from Couture Creations) to cut it out and cut a larger circle from my 'mistake' yellow CS from the first card. I adhered the yellow circle to the card front, then the larger bubble die-cut across the top. The sentiment circle was glued next, with the smaller bubble die-cut popped up on foam tape. I was able to put the twine around the foam tape and tie a tiny bow.

This was so much fun and a little nerve wracking (can't afford to make too many mistakes!!). We haven't seen each other's cards, so I can't wait to see their posts. Sarah is sending out the next package, I'm sure it will contain lots of gorgeousness! We decided to try and do a post every two months as this gives us time for all the mail to make it across the world.

I'm going to link each card to the Simon Says Stamp - Wednesday Challenge 
where their theme is 'Anything Goes'. 

I really hope you enjoyed this post and will pop over to see what Sarah and Hazel created. Thank you so much Hazel for thinking of me to start this 'crafting adventure'. I think we are going to have a lot of fun!!

Take care
Shona

10 comments:

  1. Love these, Shona! They are so light and airy :) Gorgeous frames and I love how you used the bubble die under the birds too. I had lots of fun with these supplies - glad you did too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an absolutely clever idea....love the idea of shrinking the kit and your cards are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOOO HOOOO!! I am so excited!! These cards are FANTASTIC!!! I still can't believe you managed to make three cards! I love those new frames of yours, and how you used the label dies!! Every layout is SO lovely and your colouring is gorgeous too! Thanks so much for agreeing to share this venture with me! So looking forward to Sarah's mystery kit!! Been over-hearing too much Master Chef...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your cards, Shona... what a fantastic threesome you've joined for this wonderful mini version of 12 Kits!!! Wonderful items in the kit... you've worked your magic on them!
    =] Michele

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great idea to do a mini kit and your cards are lovely too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous cards Shona, lovely designs and such fabulous summery colours..........gorgeous images with beautifully 'framed'!!
    hugs
    Heather xx
    Thanks so much for joining us with Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  7. These cards are absolutely wonderful. I am just so tickled that you guys have started your own card group, and so flattered that it is patterned after our own. You did an amazing job with your supplies--I am especially smitten with the way you used your frames on the 2nd card.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Shona! I love this idea of a smaller kit and the name is perfect! Sure made me smile! Love your CAS card designs each one is darling! Have fun,I know you will.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun idea, Shona ... and what fabulous cards you made with your first shrunken kit! They're so dreamy and delicate ... and so impeccably executed (as ever!) ... brilliant, my friend! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete