Sunday 21 June 2015

Guest Designer - AAA Card Challenge # 44

I've been looking forward to this day for weeks! After winning a challenge at AAA Cards a few months ago, Victoria invited me to be a Guest Designer. Of course I jumped at the chance and have been waiting for this day to arrive!!

This is one of my favourite challenges to join as they always have the most interesting inspiration ideas each fortnight and they look for cards with a 'clean and simple' design, which you know I love. The theme for this challenge is:

                                        USE A STENCIL AND/OR PASTE

I don't own any embossing paste (really must get some, looks like so much fun...) but do have a handful of stencil's that I hardly ever use. So this was a great chance to dust them off and try them out. 

My card is INCREDIBLY simple but I found the stenciling quite fiddly (I had problems with their 'crotch' area') but more on this in a moment. Really hope you like the idea:
 
 
I have a set of stencils from Teresa Collins 'Basically Essentials' and found this lovely couple among them. I thought it would be great to use them for a 'love' themed card. I laid them on the card front and masked all around (as I get very messy with my blending tool). I used Picked Raspberry and my mini blender and started at their feet. 

I very quickly realised that the thin piece of plastic between their legs kept wobbling around but I had no way of keeping it in place with tape. I didn't want either of them to end up with an extra wide 'private' area so had to think quickly. I ended up by holding the end of down with my finger, blending on one side and then swapping fingers. I must admit I had a bit of a giggle to myself but then realised I'm 41yrs old (not 5yrs) so regained my composure.

I tried to blend so that it was darker on their hands, feet, heads and under-arms, seemed to look better than keeping them all one shade. After removing the stencil, I stamped and heat embossed the sentiment (from Paper Smooches 'Uplifters') in gold and put a hole-punched heart (from glitter CS) on some foam tape. So, very simple and their dignity was kept intact!

I'm going to link this to the Simon Says Stamp - Wednesday Challenge where their theme is 'Use your favourite technique and/or product'. I love heat embossing, could do it all day and still find it magical!

You have two weeks to join the AAA Card Challenge and I'm so looking forward to seeing your cards in the Gallery. The Design Team have some incredible cards on the blog to help with ideas too. I need all the help I can get with using Stencils, so can't wait to be inspired. See you there and thank you to Victoria and the DT for having me!!

Take care
Shona
 



 

22 comments:

  1. Clever way to keep the private area like you explained hehe I smile too Shona...Cute couple and love your CAS card...lovely blended colors anddd big congrats on being GDT...I will join for sure...now I miss your visit n encouragement Shona...big hugs.Monika

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stenciling, Shona. That sentiment is so sweet. Love this card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You crack me up, Sho!! Love it!! I find stencilling tricky too, and my fingers are often inked casualties of the process. This is a fantastic card. Absolutely love it and the sentiment. The heart looks like glittered chipboard in the pic. Superb! Congrats on guesting for AAA! SO deserved!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so funny...you really crack me up, I love reading about your issues making your card. Your really did a fabulous job on this one...just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post just got me cracking up laughing Shona! I don't have this stencil but will certainly bear the issues in mind should I decide to purchase it!!! LOL! Love your brilliant take on the stencil theme and a classy, crisp and clean make. So thrilled to have you as a GD on the team this time - thanks so much. Your work is awesome. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great card and a great story had me chuckling thats for sure. Stencils are the vain of my life I never seem to be able to master them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shona this just proves that everyone must let their 4 year old self OUT once in a while! Darling design, my friend. And heat embossing continues to be magical to me, too!
    =] Michele

    ReplyDelete
  8. yay you...congrats!!!!!!
    What a sweet card...love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on GD Shone, you are a blogging Queen! I adore this card and really special card x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great card. I love the CAS design. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great to see you as GD, Shona!! Love your stencilled couple - CAS and cool as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I so love you were able to be part of the AAA Cards team for this challenge and loving the theme of stencils and/or paste! CUTE card even with your challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Always makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one who has problems and your description is just so funny! Love your card's simplicity, so striking. Great to have such a talent joining us as GD for this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't know which I liked more, your card, or your story! Love the card - the simplicity of it is fabulous. Love the glitter heart and the embossed sentiment. So glad you got to play as GDT!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous CAS card Shona! The images are lovely and I love the sparkly heart.
    Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge
    hugs
    Mandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on your GD spot, Shona ... so well deserved! What a fun stencilling story ... and such a sweet couple ... the shimmery heart and gold embossed sentiment are gorgeous! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations on the GD! Your card is simple and so very striking :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful card Shona! And a funny story too :) I love the shading you achieved in the image - it really makes a big difference - and I love the glittery heart - so perfect! It is so nice having you as a GD at AAA Cards - you always bring great inspiration! Jill

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, for gosh sakes, Shona...I was sipping coffee while reading your post and nearly sprayed it all over my laptop when I read about your issues with the 'private' parts! You are hilarious! Great way to save your stenciled peeps' dignity using your innovative blending. How fun that would have been to see! If I were crafting *with* you, we'd both be rolling on the floor, giggling like school girls! Overall effect: amazing! Your couple is darling and pairing them with gold is perfect! Going to try drinking my coffee again, but...I'm still snickering!
    Hugs~c

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to add, in the midst of all the laughter, CONGRATS on your GD role! Well deserved, my sweet friend!
      Hugs~c

      Delete
  20. Congrats on the guest designer spot, it was lovely having you and I'm so glad I discovered your blog. Your post is hilarious. I can picture it now. Lol! Fab card. So so simple and so well done.

    ReplyDelete