Friday 14 November 2014

The Card Concept Challenge # 23

I seem to be getting rather obsessed with red, white and kraft for my cards. Its funny because a year ago I wouldn't have used kraft at all, I didn't like it and didn't know what to do with it. My how things have changed!!

Last night I finally managed to make my final two cards for the Online Card Class. For one of them I kept in mind this challenge at The Card Concept because I really wanted to enter that again and this time in the 'Clean and Simple' category.

This card was inspired by the amazing Kristina Werner from Day 1. She used blue Distress Inks on her kraft card. She heat embossed one stamp in white and used embossing paste to create snow over the inks. And she of course added her sweet little white dash lines which she is very well known for!!

I didn't want to copy her's completely (and also don't have those colour Distress Inks) and this is what I came up with:





After masking off the area, I used my mini blending tool with red dye ink to build up a red stripe. I wasn't sure it was going to work but after alot of blending and drying, the red was fantastic. I stamped the sentiment and snowflake stamps with Versamark ink and then heat embossed in white. I tried adding sequins, enamel dots and rhinestones but nothing looked good, so just added the red/white twine along the fold. 

It came out alot better than I thought it would, although I still need to work on my white heat embossing because its still a bit patchy.

The sentiment stamps are from WPlus9 'Hand lettered holiday'. The snowflake and ornament stamps are from Simon Says Stamp 'Presents and Ornaments' and the twine from Papervine.

I'm also going to add this card to the CASology Week # 121 Challenge as my third entry. Their theme is:


Will also link to the challenge at Addicted to Stamps # 121 where their theme is 'Anything Goes'. I think this is my third entry.

And will also link as my final entry at Artful Crafts - Christmas Countdown Challenge where this weeks theme is 'Clean and Simple. 

Now I've got to choose whether to clean my bathroom or take the dogs for a walk in the sun......you know which one I'm going to choose and it doesn't involve scrubbing the bath!!!

Take care
Shona

21 comments:

  1. That red looks so fab on the Kraft!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another CAS beauty, your card looks so much like the picture. Very elegant card. Thanks for joining us at ATSM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That darker red is beautiful on the kraft; a crisp tag! Enjoy the day, Gerrina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clean and Simple perfection my friend. Thanks for joining us at ATSM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous - love the simplicity of it! So glad you joined us at CASology this week, Shona!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this!!! What a neat technique! Thank you for sharing with us at The Card Concept!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this card, so clean and festive too. So happy you are playing along with us at The Card Concept.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shona, I just love your cards! That shaker card with the most deluxe patterned paper I have ever seen (this coming from the non-hard candy eater!) is awesome! And that last red and white stripe on the Kraft with that really lovely sentiment is so elegant! I must try a version of that. I too wish we lived nearer to each other. We could sit and swap stamps and play and have a really good time, I am sure. I always love your choices! Good luck with the bath scrub! I am sitting here with the flu on a stunningly beautiful balmy day, so apart from a cup of peppermint tea and some Codral, I won't be doing anything today. Thank heavens it's Saturday and my husband is home to help with the kids! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning! Clean, simple and perfectly festive. I think your blending technique is great. Thanks so much for playing along with ASM this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shona, another great card for CASology this week! I can't believe that red strip is inked, I swore it was paper! Gorgeous! Thanks for playing along again at CASology!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had NO idea Kraft could ink up so intensely! Thanks for joining in on the fun at The Card Concept:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such luscious, saturated colour, Shona ... the red's so gorgeous against the kraft ... and with the white embossing and that sweet touch of twine, it's perfect! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shona, your card caught my eye, very clean, but gorgeous. If you do not like your white heat embossing, try to emboss first and then to dub a colour over it. Embossing works better on clean paper without any inks :) Really love your card :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the CAS card!!!! Thanks so much for joining us at CASology!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the inked red panel and the big, swooping "merry" - perfect CAS card!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous! Love white embossed on red! Thanks for playing along with CASology this week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Not only is this card CAS it is elegant! Excellent job on your homework! And well, kraft paper- welcome to the dark side! :) Thanks for joining us at the Card Concept!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Simple
    beautiful
    red on kraft...oh I love this...
    clever idea Shona...hope I still have time to join the card concept..
    adorable concept Shona...
    Hope you dont feel bothering by me...I like to visiting next post of you...and enjoy your lovely cards...(hope you like to do the same too for my empty blog :) SMILE )

    ReplyDelete
  19. So festive and handsomely graphic, Shona! Thanks for joining us at The Card Concept!

    ReplyDelete