Wednesday 12 November 2014

CAS - Colours and Sketches Challenge # 99

I squeezed in a little 'daytime' crafting this morning as I actually went to bed early last night. Too many nights of going to bed around 1-3am finally caught up with me, so I'm feeling much more alive today!





Over on the CAS - Colours and Sketches blog they have this colour challenge. I've been using a lot of red and gold lately with my cards but I've never used vanilla. It stumped me a little but I found a 6x6 xmas pad that was filled with red and vanilla colours, so it got my ideas flowing straight away.



I found this gorgeous vanilla coloured paper and adhered it to the card front, leaving a white border around the outside. After die-cutting the circle, I stamped and heat embossed the sentiment in gold. I then glued the die-cut 'joy' above it. Foam tape was used on the back of the circle. I added a gold sequin as the dot for the joy and a few more for good luck. 

The CAS- Colours and Sketches team are also having a DT Call so I've decided to have a go and apply. This means I will also need to join each challenge this month as part of the application, so you'll be seeing a few more of these posts.

The patterned papers are from Studio Calico 'Magical Collection'. The 'joy' die and sentiment stamp are from WPlus9 'Hand lettered holiday'. The sequins are from Neat and Tangled.

As I've used gold on this card I'll link this to the Virginia's View Challenge # 9, this is my fourth entry. Their theme is:

I also have to mention someone rather wonderful. A few weeks ago I commented on a card that Amy (from Tsuruta Designs) made which was inspired by Candy Corn. I asked her what the Candy Corn was like, as we don't have it in New Zealand. Well, I got an email from her asking me for my address so she could send me some. I decided to do the same and boxed up a whole lot of candy and chocolate goodies that you can only get in NZ. Amy posted her's on Thursday last week and they arrived yesterday!!

 
She sent three beautiful gift bags filled with Candy Corn and one large bag of Starburst Candy Corn which is fruit flavoured. They are all so yummy and I never thought it would taste like fudge! Phoebe has taken some to school today to share with her best friend. I've hidden mine in my craft drawer so I can nibble while I create. Thank you so much Amy and here's to the 'International Sugar Exchange'!!!!!

Take care
Shona

19 comments:

  1. You've created a beautiful card here! Love the gold with the red. I think I need that die.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post was so fantastic, Shona! First of all, excellent job designing your cheerful card around that fab paper! Second, good luck with the DT call! They will be lucky to have you on the team! Third, what a great swap you had with Amy! So thoughtful and so fun!! TFS!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, you lucky duck! What a great idea re the candy swap! Best of luck with the DT call!! I really hope you get selected! You deserve to! As for your water colouring - you certainly don't need any tips from anyone! Your tag looks fantastic!!! Well done. Really enjoy your cards! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just so fun....I love this idea, maybe you two have started something. I love love candy corn and honestly could eat an entire bag at one sitting. I will be sick as a dog too. Good luck with your DT call too, wishing you the best. Your card is just too cute...I love those colors and your sweet style!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your card is perfect-o! Best wishes on the DT Call! CAS is calling your name!
    Yay for Happy Mail! I hope that the kids liked the candy corn :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really pretty, Shona! LOVE the gold sentiment & the great background!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Came cuz of a real looker in the gallery (fabulous card design) and leave smiling cuz of the great world of cardmakers. Candy corn - I think ya love it or hate it. I LOVE it. And it's so graphically cool too, don't ya think!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful card! I I love the idea of a candy exchange!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That background looks stamped! Love you used a sequin for the joy. How wonderful to get these goodies from Amy and good luck with the DT call x

    ReplyDelete
  10. The colours are great with the DP you used! Love the modern feel of the card! Glad to hear you are full of energy again... x

    ReplyDelete
  11. The die-cut "joy" is fabulous - I love the font and the shimmer it gives your card. I also like how you used the sequin to dot the "j". Very nice! Thanks for sharing your card with us at CAS - Colours & Sketches! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another gorgeous card - love the colours. Good luck with the DT call - you would be amazing! Love the candy exchange with Amy - so 'sweet' :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely modern card Shona. Good luck with the DT call and enjoy your candy! Stef x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Shona, what a beautiful Christmas card. Love the juxtaposition of a bold and bright focal word to a background! Good luck with DT Call! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the CAS simplicity of your card Shona. Fingers crossed for the both of us with the DT call.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is lovely Shona ... the bold red sentiment panel is fabulous against the DP ... and all the words are so perfect together! Good luck with the DT call ... they'll be lucky to have you! Happy munching! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. that is so sweet - Amy is kind <3
    love your card!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really like how you have used the colours, the combination of the die cut and embossed lettering, super modern card. thanks for sharing and good luck with the DT call
    Louise from CAS C&S

    ReplyDelete
  19. you are a lucky card maker get sugar from Amy yeaaah
    I never get sugar but I sent chocolate from Germany to some USA friends..
    Do you have special choco in NZ? but send from NZ to Germany is expensive I knew it...my friend Dawn also life there and better not send package to Germany Shona...yeah enjoy your candy...
    I adore again your card concept...its soooo nice see red and gold together..
    You are clever card maker Shona...dont blame me if I comment now all your cards and post... LOL

    ReplyDelete