Monday 10 November 2014

OCC - Holiday Card Workshop 2014 - Day 4 (No. 2)

Day 4 was all about One Layer Christmas Cards, which was right up my alley!! We had the gorgeous Julie Ebersole showing us a die-cut masking technique that looked incredible. She die-cut a deer with antlers out of masking paper and stuck it onto the card front and then stamped around it with lots of little dots. When she removed the masking paper you were left with the negative of the die.

Unfortunately I only have a few Christmas word dies so I had to get creative...


Talk about rustic!! I cut a tree shape from kraft cardstock and used washi tape to stick it to the card front. I used a small circle stamp with white pigment ink and stamped away around the tree. Once I was happy I lifted off the tree shape and tah dah!! It actually worked!

I then stamped the sentiment stamps (from WPlus9 'Hand lettered holiday') with Versamark ink and heat embossed in gold. Unfortunately I'm still getting used to the white ink pad (its very juicy) and splattered the card in a few places, so added a few silver stars to detract from my clumsiness.

I was really happy with how it turned out and even had an idea for another card (which I will post tomorrow).

As I've used gold and silver on this card, I'll link this to the Virginia's View Challenge # 9 (this is my second entry), where their theme is:

 

And since my card contains a 'tree', I'm also going to join the Moxie Fab World Tree-mendous Trees Challenge.

I received a magazine in the mail today (Your Home and Garden) and on the front is a beautiful Xmas scene in someone's living room. On the couch I spotted an amazing gold and grey cushion and immediately had an idea for a card. Will see if I can stay awake long enough to try it out tonight...wish me luck!!

Take care
Shona

7 comments:

  1. Great technique you used. One I really like to do... The effect from the white on the kraft is beautiful! Looking forward to see what you make more in the online classes... Hugs, Gerrina

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool is this, Shona ... the white on kraft is gorgeous! Looking forward to a first view of the grey and gold cushion inspired card ... hope you got at least some sleep! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very very nice Shona...I love that kraft with the gold sentiment, just stunning and so elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a funky idea and it turned out so well. I love you were inspired by a cushion, I saw one on TV the other day it emerged into a card!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how you created this tree! The sentiment looks awesome in gold. I haven't done my homework yet for this day...running a little behind!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the tree and that circle behind it Shona....simple but adorable and easy to make...right? Lovely use the kraft paper Shona...hugs, Monika

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely fantastic, Shona!

    ReplyDelete