Monday 17 August 2015

POP UP Challenge with Kathy!!

I'm a huge fan of Kathy from The Daily Marker, her colouring skills are phenomenal and I always look forward to her next blog post to see what she has created and coloured. Kathy decided to do something different and create a POP UP Challenge.

Its a challenge that runs until the 17th August (started 14th August), so a nice quick one and with it ending on my birthday, I knew I had to give it a go!!

The theme is 'Lines' and Kathy shows a couple of videos on creating lines and how to give them interest by thickening them and giving them 'eyelashes' etc. You really must have a look. I thought it would be quite fun, so I scribbled random black lines on a piece of white CS and away I went:


Eeeek, this isn't your normal kind of card, I can hear you say. It looks like a child coloured this in, I also hear someone whispering in the background. And I totally agree but this was so much fun!!

I only had one felt tip pen to use when doing the lines, so wasn't able to do the 'eyelash' effect but did manage to thicken the lines in some places before I took to it with my pencils. After I finished, I used a circle die to cut out my favourite area and also cut two more circles from black CS. In her video Kathy also mentions how she likes to die-cut words from her colouring pieces, layer them and put them back in, so I decided to do that too!

I die-cut the 'happy' from the piece and also three times from black CS. I glued all the circles together (which gave the word die-cut a black background) and then glued all the words, which were then put back in the die-cut negative. I then heat embossed the 'birthday' in white on some black CS and popped it up on foam tape. A few sequins to finish it off and my colouring adventure was complete!!

The circle die is from Couture Creations. The sentiment stamp is from Whimsy Stamps 'Happy Everything' as well as the 'happy' die. 

As I shared the photo of this card on Instagram, I don't need to link it to the challenge but I have three other challenges I would like to join:

Simply Create Too Challenge # 92 (Anything Goes)

Little Tangles Challenge # 59 

Seize the Birthday Challenge 


I'm now working on another colouring piece but this time with water colours, so hope to finish that this afternoon. I also put in an order to Simon Says Stamps on Saturday which included my first lot of Zig Markers (packet of 12). I'm so excited and can't wait for them to arrive. I also splashed out on two sets of stamps with matching dies but you will have to wait and see what they are....

Thank you so much Kathy for organising such a fun little challenge and I look forward to the next one. I might even be able to participate in her next colouring challenge in October but will have to practice ALOT with my new markers......

Take care
Shona 


 

15 comments:

  1. This is so cool! I am off to watch the video...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great and fun card! Love the 'camouflage die cutting'!
    Thanks for joining the fun over at Seize the birthday!
    Anni

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun card and I love that technique. A little birdie said it was your birthday, so I am also stopping by to wish you a happy one. With the time differences, I'm not sure if I am early or late, but sincere in any case. Happy Happy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cool and funky, Shona ... the camoflaged die cut is fabulous amid those swirly lines and vibrant colours! Hugs, Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just spooky Shona! I have posted something very very similar today (done with kids felt tip markers too) I haven't seen the video or blog post you refer to, but I am sure going to go over and have a look! Love what you have done with the camouflaged sentiment too! Have a great evening! Hazel xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just looked over your past several posts. My goodness, you've been busy! You REALLY found some craft time, and you had a blast I bet! I enjoyed looking at every one of them since my last comment. You're learning so much! Kathy's videos are so inspiring. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes its not your style and cool color Shona...
    Happy happy birthday Shona...the package sent yesterday..hope you will like it...and ordering new color medium wohooo....cant wait to see what will show in your blog..this is a sweet card and see you around Shona...ps:I knew Kathy since they have Hero Arts Flickr and HA challenges there :) loong time ago 2009 :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. First of all, Shona ...a very, very happy birthday to you (that must have been yesterday, hey!!!) I hope you had a wonderful day and that the new year in your life will be one filled with joy and lots of everything that makes you happy!!! May it be a very blessed year!!! Happy belated birthday!!!
    Your card is simply stunning, Shona!!!! You have really done a great job with your pen and pencils!!!! The colours are sooooo beautiful and the sentiment looks wonderful!!! I really like this and I'm going to pop over to watch those video's!!!
    Have a wonderful day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cannot tell you how much I love your "line" card for the Pop-up challenge...You are truly an amazing artist. The card is just lucious. The more you look at it the more you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww - it's your birthday yesterday? A very Happy Happy Day to you! I hope it was fantastic! And it does NOT look like a child colored it in! I am loving all the retro mod lines and colors and the raised up words. It almost looks like one of those cool optical illusions!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Belated Happy Birthday, my sweet friend! Hope you were treated to celebrations galore! Your card is far from looking as though a child coloured it; rather, it's infused with artistic flair and style! Love the circle, the lines, the colours, the "camo" sentiment! I agree with Becca: retro and rad!
    Hugs~c

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cool technique, Shona! Love the graphic and the colors!!
    Thank you so much for joining us at Simply Create Too.
    ...and belated Happy Birthday!
    Rosi x

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun technique - love the mix of colours and the popped up sentiment! Thanks so much for joining us at Seize the Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW what a interest die cutting! Love the card :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun card! Thank you for sharing with us at Simply Create Too - Myrna DT

    ReplyDelete