Wednesday 26 August 2015

AAA Card Challenge # 46

Masking is something I haven't tried very often when it comes to stamping. I get a bit confused sometimes working out the order of what should be stamped first. I'm also not the best with fussy cutting at times, so my 'mask' doesn't always cover the image properly.



However, I thought I just needed to get over myself and practice. And this AAA Challenge was the perfect excuse!! 

I've seen a lot of beautiful cards lately with masking, especially with butterflies. So I thought it would be an easy-ish shape to start with....:


I started by stamping the butterfly on some white CS and cutting it out. I've been trying to find some Post-It large labels in New Zealand but no one seems to sell them here. After stamping and heat embossing the first butterfly, I then simple held the mask in place where needed and stamped the next one. It was a bit of a juggling act but also quite fun.

After finishing all the heat embossing in gold, I used my Distress Inks to water colour. And this time I even coloured the background, which I never do. It helps that I FINALLY have a blue Distress Ink!! Once it was dry, I cut it to size and adhered to the card front. I also die-cut the 'perfect' once from gold CS and twice from white CS and glued them all together before sticking to the card. I also stamped the rest of the sentiment in black on a tiny piece of white CS.  Really happy with how it turned out!!

The butterfly stamp is from Hero Arts. The 'perfect' die is from Waffle Flower, as well as the sentiment, which is from the 'Loved' set.

I have three other challenges I would like to enter:

Simply Create Too Challenge # 92 (Anything Goes)

House of Cards August Challenge 


Happy Little Stampers - August CAS Challenge 


I'm super excited because my Birthday goodies arrived from Simon Says Stamp today, which included two stamp sets (with matching dies) from WPlus9 and a 12 pack of Ziggies!! Can't wait to play around with them tonight.

The other news is that my computer is being taken away today at lunchtime (in one hour....) and will be back either tonight or tomorrow afternoon. Thank goodness I have new things to play with or I wouldn't know what to do with myself tonight! So if you email me and I don't reply, I will get back to you as soon as my new computer is back safe at home. 

Yes, a new computer and this one is being taken away to transfer all my stuff on to it. I so hope its much faster than this one but I'm also scared that the man doing it will loose all my stuff. Fingers crossed!!!!

Take care
Shona
 

17 comments:

  1. Oh, I love this modern looking butterfly card. Superb masking, seems to you've mastered it immediately. Thanks for playing again at AAA Cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is AMAZING, Shona! LOVE these gorgeous colorful masks--the gold embossing was a fabulous choice! Thanks for joining us at House of Cards! HUGS! :) Mynn xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card Shona and a great job with masking!! Good luck with the computer transfer ... it's so hard to let go, even though it's short term. Computers have become a part of us! :) Thanks for playing along at Happy Little Stampers. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that is a scary proposition, Shona... fingers crossed here, too! Now, about this card? Just absolutely superb masking... my gosh girl... is there anything in this world you cannot do? I highly doubt it... and love every little thing you do!
    =]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Fabulous masking! Have fun with your new toys. You will love those Zigs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful kaleidoscope of butterflies, Shona ... so perfectly masked ... and fabulous with the shiny stacked gold 'perfect'! Enjoy playing with all those new goodies ... and happy new (and fast!) computer! Hugs, Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who said you weren't good at masking...this is really good. Beautiful work and the color is lovely. Send me an email with your snail mail address and I'll send you post-its and some masking paper. longleyconi@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is SO lovely, Shona! I am marvelling at your masking and your watercolouring! You have done such a perfect job of it too! Jealous about your ziggies!! You are going to have so much fun!! I am sure the computer will be fine! Have fun with your new goodies!! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so hear you about figuring out the layers of the mask. I usually end up taking other stamps around the same size as the image(s) I want to use and mocking up the card. And this card of yours turned out so amazing--I particularly like the white in the butterflies. It's almost like there're butterflies and then stylized butterflies on top of those. Love!

    Toni

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job on masking, and your metallic "perfect" is stunning! Glad you joined us at House of Cards. Donna

    ReplyDelete
  11. EEk! I hope you got your computer back and all is well!! I have to say that your sediment is the right one for this beautiful card because IT is perfect!! Well done with the masking, Sho, and the coloring is superb!! Enjoy the new birthday toys!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  12. A beautiful card! And practice makes perfect... It looks great! Hugs, Gerrina

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Shona! Your stamping and masking is absolutely fabulous! Even more impressive as you were having to hold the mask in place while stamping! Thanks so much for joining us at House of Cards!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so pretty ...... well done on all that masking and great job with the colouring too. Thanks for playing along at Happy Little Stampers. Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW, your butterflies really turned out great, Shona!!!! Great job on that masking!!! Love how you've coloured the butterflies and the blue bg is lovely!!! The gold sentiment is ...Perfect!!!! Beautiful card!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Speaking of perfect....YOUR CARD IS! I love your wonderful style and that sentiment is amazing. quick question...did you receive my email from yesterday? just checking since I have not heard back from you. let me know when you get a chance. wishing you a fabulous weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your sentiment says it all, Shona: PERFECT! Your masking, your colour palette, your design, your choice of butterfly image...consider my heart captured! I LOVE x LOVE this! Work of art that truly warrants framing and special place in your home!
    Hugs~c

    ReplyDelete