Tuesday 16 June 2020

Reminder: The Flower Challenge #45

Hi everybody!! I managed to get all my gardening today before it rained, although its been cold and dark all day.....Winter is definitely here. The rest of the week looks like rain, rain and more rain, so might have time to kick my mojo in the butt and crank out some cards....






Our theme for this month at The Flower Challenge is 'Navy plus one other colour'. Navy is so stylish and gorgeous with so many colour combo's. The possibilities are endless!!

My mojo has taken a beating lately, so decided to set myself up in front of Netflix (I've been watching 'Parasyte' which is a Japanese Anime series. So not for my age range and have never watched anime before but for some reason I'm really enjoying it) with my pencils and gently coloured away the evening:


Yes, your eye's aren't deceiving you...that is patterned paper on my card. Its something I hardly EVER use but I just needed something in the background and I was stumped with ideas.

To start off I stamped this floral image from Gina K Designs 'You Make Me Smile' with Gina K Amalgam Black ink on white CS and coloured with my Faber Castell pencils. I knew I wanted Navy leaves but took me a while to choose the flower colours. Since the leaves were so dark I tried to colour the flowers softly but with subtle shading. 

This is where I realised I had smudged the blue pencils over the background (between the leaves etc). I grabbed the same blue pencil and gently scribbled it in all the gaps with it going in the same direction. I fussy cut it out and decided to come back to it again.

For the frame I die-cut the Pretty Pink Posh 'Scallop Frame' from navy CS and twice more from black CS. I glued them all together and then to the card front. I realised I needed something behind the flowers and found this paper from a Rosies Studio paper pad 'Splendid'. I die-cut it with the same frame die and inset the middle part in the navy frame.

Back to the flowers, the scribbles looked terrible, so because I use watercolour pencils I used a teeny, tiny amount of water on a brush and blended out all the blue. I had to be careful because it was normal CS. I used some foam tape behind it on the card. The sentiment (from the same stamp set) was white heat embossed on the same navy card and put on foam tape, along with some Neat and Tangled sequins.

You have until Thursday 25th June to link your projects to The Flower Challenge and if your struggling with ideas, don't forget to pop over to the blog to see what the rest of the Design Team and our talented Guest Designer Jenny of Jenny Hall Design have made to inspire you. Hope I see you in the Gallery!

Take care
Shona

7 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous Shona - glady ou were using water colour pencils and could blend out the pencil strokes - the result is exquisite.
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy moley...the coloring is soooo gorgeous and looks fabulous with that patterned paper background. Stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love reading about your creative process Shona - and things don't always go smoothly do they! Love the way you saved your floral background. That paper is gorgeous, really nicely textured. I've just bought some similar and although I don't usually use much DSP, I do think I'll use these :) Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it Shona, well done ;) hugs Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. The blossoms are beautifully shaded, Shona, and the navy leaves accent them well. Love the striped background.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love, love these beautifully colored flowers Shonna, and yes, I was surprised to see the background but, at first glance, I thought it was actually fabric, not DSP. Love it!!
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. really beautiful...love that colour combo
    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete