Thursday 1 June 2017

Happy Little Stampers - Watercolour Challenge - June

Hi there everybody!! On this side of the world its the 1st of June...where has this year gone??? I need to start thinking about Christmas I feel and especially making some more Christmas cards!!

With it being a new month it also means that its time for a new challenge theme at the Happy Little Stampers - Watercolour Challenge.





This month its all about 'Masking' as an optional twist. Or you can forget the twist all together and link some watercolouring projects. Its totally up to you!

I've never actually tried to do any masking before with watercolouring so thought I would give it a go. It drove me a little crazy but finally happy with the end result:


I had the idea to do some masking with washi tape but turns out that washi tape doesn't hold back the paint that well. Luckily I did these stripes on a big piece of CS so I had options of where to die-cut.

So, I started with a piece of watercolour CS and my Gansai Tambi watercolour paints. I basically masked off stripes of different widths and painted each colour. I also decided to leave some gaps unpainted to add a bit of interest. Unfortunately the paint got underneath the tape here and there so if I do this again I need to find something else to use.

Once the paint was dry I die-cut a large circle from it. For the sentiment I die-cut the 'celebrate' from the middle of the circle and added a piece of CS behind it. I then die-cut the word again twice from black CS, glued them together and then into the circle. I added a panel of black CS to the card front and popped the circle up on foam tape.

To finish off I heat embossed the rest of the sentiment in gold on a strip of watercolour CS and adhered to the circle. I brushed the 'celebrate' with lots of Wink of Stella and then covered it with Glossy Accents. And for a bit more shine I added some co-ordinating sequins.

The 'celebrate' die is from Neat and Tangled, as well as the sentiment (from 'Say Yes to Donuts') and the sequins. The circle die is from Couture Creations.

I'm going to link this to the AAA Card Challenge # 91 where its their 3rd birthday!!!



And will also link to the Simon Says Stamp - Monday Challenge where their theme is 'Circles'.

 

You have a whole month to link your project to the Happy Little Stampers - Watercolour Challenge and the winner will get a $20 gift voucher to spend in the Happy Little Stampers shop. 

Pop over to the blog to see what the rest of the Design Team have created to inspire you and I look forward to seeing you in the Gallery!!

Take care
Shona

9 comments:

  1. Love your sweet card Shona....those bright colorful stripes are amazing against the gorgeous black background!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's just fabulous! The black card really makes those bright stripes stand out! Bit of a head turner! Thanks for joining in with AAA Cards 3rd birthday celebrations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The watercolor had to be difficult over the masking but, brilliant as you are, you've done it. This look terrific...a fun birthday card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an absolutely clever card! I love all of the hard work you put into those stripes! I enjoyed reading about your process and am glad that you stuck with it to create something so stunning. This is full of energy and boldness, yet it's still very sophisticated and classy. You did a remarkable job and I'm so glad you shared your talents with us for this week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad that you have tried something new! You have created a fantastic feel with your watercoloured stripes - so fun!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous Shona! I love the bright colours against the black background. Thanks for playing along with us at AAA Cards!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this bold card Shona, and I love how you created your fab stripes!
    Hugs
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  8. so fun! love the layout. Thanks for joining our birthday celebration at AAA Cards!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow I didn't realize this was masked watercolor when I first saw it - but duh watercolor challenge!! Wow it worked out really well even if in some spots it leaked - really clever . I actually tried that yellow delicate frog tape once to do a bit of watercolor masking and it was the only one I found worked. Not sure if you get it in oz. super fab card anyway - love the black !

    ReplyDelete