Tuesday 5 May 2020

The Flower Challenge #44

Hello there!! I can't believe its already May, time has gone so fast this year (even in lockdown) and feel like I need to start getting some things ready for Christmas because its going to sneak up on me. The weather is still really warm and we just had our first all-day of rain for 2020, which the weeds will love!!





A new month means a new challenge theme for The Flower Challenge and this month its 'Monochrome'. I think this is a brilliant theme because it makes you think about how you can colour or create your flower images with the same colour but still have shading etc. I'm really looking forward to seeing all the entries!!

For my card I really wanted a big floral image, and the biggest one I have is from Picket Fence Studios:


I'm so excited with how this turned out!! My husband saw me painting this and even he commented about how good it looked, which is unusual as he doesn't really take notice of my cards. I've definitely gotten better with all my colouring over the past 6 years but still have ALOT more to learn.

I started off by stamping the Picket Fence Studios 'Botan Peony' with Versafine Onyx ink a couple of times on watercolour CS and immediately clear heat embossed with Simon Says Stamp powder. I really wanted a dark blue to use and found the perfect one from Altenew Brush Markers - Tropical Fiesta Set 'Desert Night'. I did a first coat with water and a round brush, putting a little of the blue on each petal and not worrying too much about shading. Once that had dried I then went back in with less water in spots and lots in others because I wanted to remove some of the colour.

When this had dried I wanted to add more depth and detail with some colour pencils (cheap ones from Faber Castell). This is where I realised I had made a mistake by heat embossing the image. I have been scared to watercolour without clear heat embossing yet as it helps keep the colour in place. But now I add pencil shading the clear embossing gets in the way and flakes off. So I'm going to have to take the plunge next time..... And then I broke my pencil sharpener so had to give up the pencils completely!!

I fussy cut the flower out and added white foam to the back. I created a white 5inch square card base but wanted some blue on it as well. I found some lighter blue CS in the same tone and added it to the card front. I then cut a panel of white CS the same size as the flower and put it on white foam. 

For the sentiment (which was also a BIG MISTAKE as I thought it was Mother's Day on the 3rd May and since this comes out the day after it would be fine but now Mum is going to see it before next weekend....buggar....) I knew my Mum would love this. So I used Hero Arts 'Navy' ink on Winnie and Walter 'The Big, the Bold and Love' stamps, backed it with the same blue CS and put on foam tape, along with Neat and Tangled sequins.

I'm going to link this to the Simon Says Stamp - Wednesday Challenge where their theme is 'Anything Goes'.



You have until Monday 25th May to link your projects to The Flower Challenge and if you need to see any cards to get some ideas, pop over to the blog to see what the rest of the Design Team and our amazing Guest Designer Nonni of Nonni's Handmade Cards have made to inspire you. We will be back on the 15th May with some more cards for this theme and I can't wait to see your projects in the Gallery!

Take care and stay safe
Shona
xxx

7 comments:

  1. Oh my, Shona...this is a real statement piece. That gorgeous blue combined with this magnificent image is a show stopper. Amazing depth you've achieved with your coloring. It's extraordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shona, I LOVE BIG BLOOMS, and cannot lie... even you have made my least favorite color a favorite today!! OMG your coloring is getting better by the day!
    =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a stunning card, Shona! Love the blue tones on that fab bloom. A real beauty x

    ReplyDelete
  4. The blue peony is gorgeous! Love the rich color! Beautiful coloring, Shona!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got one of those husbands lol. This is truly fabulous Shona (don't tell him, but your husband is right lol)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just stunning Shona,loving the navy and that gorgeous flower too ♥ hugs Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. gorgeous, stunning card....my dh rarely notices that with me either. You did a great job.
    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete