Thursday 14 May 2020

Reminder: TIME OUT Challenge #161

Hi everybody!! Really hope life is treating you kindly and your making your way through lockdown or maybe your like us in NZ and slowly getting back to a more normal way of life. We went back to Level 2 today which means all stores can open (bars have to wait another week), as well as cinema's, gyms etc. We still have to social distance and wash those hands but nice to see the hustle and bustle around the town, even though its a little bit scary too. 





Our current theme at TIME OUT  is 'The Art's which has SO MANY possibilities!! You could literally make some art on your project, maybe watercolour. Or you could make something around the arts themselves i.e. dance, singing, writing, floral, painting etc. Its a very cool theme and there is also the 'Optional Twist' of creating a one-layer card which could win you a prize....

Our Sponsor for this challenge is Birch Press Designs and they are giving a $20 gift voucher to a random winner chosen from those who do the 'optional twist'!!
 Lucky them!!




I can't wait to share my card with you!! I was going through all my stamps trying to find something to do with dance, music etc and came across an Ellen Hutson stamp set that was perfect:


Any idea what it is?? How about a clue 'three little maids'?? This card is representing the Opera 'The Mikado'!! I've never actually seen it unfortunately but its supposed to be very funny and is one of the most performed opera's in the world. One of the most popular songs from this opera is 'Three little maids from school are we' and I've been singing it to myself daily since making this card!!

This was so much fun to put together and actually did it while watching a Studio Ghibli movie with Max called 'The Wind Rises'. It was really good, just like all the other movies from this studio. We especially love 'Ponyo', 'My Neighbour Totoro' and 'Spirited Away'.

I started off by stamping the three girls, their fans and two lanterns from the Ellen Hutson 'So Matcha' stamp set with Gina K Amalgam black ink on white CS. I coloured them with Altenew Artist Markers, fussy cut out and then glued the fans to their hands.

For the 'stage' I cut some red CS freehand for the curtains on each side and a strip for the top. I found a very old piece of patterned rice paper in the bottom of my drawer. I adhered it to the card front for the stage background and put a piece of wood-veneer CS on top for the stage floor. I glued the red strip to the top of the curtains and then put them on foam tape. I also put the lanterns on foam tape, as if they were hanging from the roof. The three girls were then put in place with foam tape and some glue.

The sentiment is from a very old Reverse Confetti 'Fancy Word Co-ordinates' set that I've had for years. I white heat embossed it on a strip of black CS, put it on foam tape and then added Wink of Stella to the fans for some sparkle.

You have until Wednesday 20th May to link your projects to the TIME OUT challenge and if your struggling for ideas, pop over to the blog to see what the rest of the Design Team have created for you. Looking forward to seeing all your 'arty' projects in the Gallery!!

Take care
Shona
 

5 comments:

  1. I love, love this idea and another super example of how to interpret this theme! What sweet little images and coloured perfectly. I adore how you placed them with that pretty paper behind-I thought it was a shaker. One amazing card x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a stunning card Shona - love your very clever depiction of the Mikado!
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOU ARE A FREAKING GENIUS, GIRL. This production is some of the best work you've done. So full of movement, beauty and fun. I bow to the master.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shona you are rocking this challenge!! Love the opera inspiration and all the detail and thought you put to this wonderful scene. Great use of these stamps!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for joining us in our DT Call over at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge ! Good luck ! 🍀

    ReplyDelete