Sunday 26 April 2020

Rainbow Week - Day 5

Hi everyone!! I don't know about you but my lockdown of five weeks has gone really fast. I've been just as busy cleaning up after my kids and husband, catching up on other cleaning jobs, doing gardening etc.....I've never been bored, which is rather incredible. However I'm pretty sure if this extended for another couple of weeks I would start to feel cabin fever creeping in.....

I can't believe I'm already at Day 5 for my Rainbow Week. Its been quite good doing something like this as it gives me something positive to look forward too each day, instead of our 1pm media briefing every afternoon on tv telling us how many new cases of COVID-19 we have in the country and any deaths, which is just heartbreaking.

Today's cards are theoretically 'rainbow' colours themselves but I've used a variety of colours on each one and given you another idea on how to stretch your dies:

  
I have three cards for you today, all with this same background and format. It uses a large 'U' die from The Stamp Market which I've had for a while but never used. I fiddled around with it for many days, figuring out how I could use more than one but not make it too bulky. What do you think??

Basically what I did was die-cut the 'U' 6x using shades of pink and purple (for this card). Using Gina K Connect Glue I glued them together in opposite directions and they were glued on each 'middle' strip of the 'U'. Its a bit hard to explain, if anyone needs it I could always do a quick video showing how they go together. Its a bit fiddly and you glue them to a panel of white CS at the same time (any they aren't exactly perfectly straight either....) but it makes such a cool geometric backdrop.

The white panel was cut down close to the die-cuts at each end. I adhered a panel of the same light coloured CS to the card front and then put the die-cut panel on a piece of white foam. The 'Love' die (from The Stamp Market) was die-cut 2x from white CS and once from black CS and glued together to show the black underneath. It was put on foam tape, along with the sentiment (from The Stamp Market 'Just Wonderful'). And I added some Neat and Tangled sequins and Studio Katia pearls.


For this card I did the die-cut background with shades of blue and turquoise and added pale blue to the card front before putting the die-cut panel on white foam. The 'Thank You' (also from The Stamp Market) was again die-cut twice from white CS and once from navy CS, and glued together so the navy showed underneath. This was glued to the card along with the sentiment (from The Stamp Market 'Just Wonderful') and some Neat and Tangled sequins, and Studio Katia Pearls.


This last card is my favourite!! I did the die-cut background with yellow, oranges and peach colours. I then used a panel of light grey on the card front. The 'joy' (from The Stamp Market) was die-cut once from white CS, once from dark peach CS and once from Creativ Gold Metallic Paper. I glued them together so each colour peeked through and put on foam tape. The sentiment (from The Stamp Market 'Holiday Greetings') was backed with a frame of the same gold paper (which unfortunately looks more black in this photo) and the same light grey CS. I then finished off with the same Neat and Tangled sequins and Studio Katia pearls.

Whew, that was one big post, well done getting thru it all!! I thought about putting them all in separate posts but since they all use the same technique for their backgrounds, it didn't seem right. I hope its given you some ideas on how to use other large-letter dies. I've still got a few ideas up my sleeve for this one, will probably never be used as a 'U' on a card!!

I'll see you back here tomorrow when we are back to rainbow colours and lots of encouraging sentiments.

Take care and be safe
Shona
xxxx

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful cards Shona, and an incredible way to use that die!! Well done.
    I have mixed feelings about the lock down - some days have been better than others, but overall not too bad.
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  2. This big "U" sure came in handy...you've found a terrific way of stretching it's use. All of these cards are so fabulous...hard to say which I love more but I'll stick with the yellow hues on your "joy" card.
    So happy to hear you are all doing well and that you've not become bored yet. Oddly enough, I haven't either, there is so much to occupy my time. Whether it's productive occupations or not, is another question.

    ReplyDelete