Saturday 16 March 2019

Winnie and Walter 5th Birthday Challenge - Create a Scene with Masking

It has been a very unreal time for us here in New Zealand since yesterday (Friday) afternoon. A terrorist attack was carried out in Christchurch (which is around 5hrs drive from where I live) where a man entered two mosques and opened fire, so far killing 49 people. I can't stop crying and I'm so angry that this man felt he had the right to enter a place of prayer and attack innocent men, women and childen.

He also filmed one of the attacks and the video is on social media. I beg you not to watch it and to report any links you see, as it just spreads his hatred further. It doesn't seem right to be sharing cards with you all today but I'm not going to let this disgusting man affect something I love and I will find other ways to remember all these people that have lost their lives and been affected.






This card is for the Winnie and Walter 'Create a scene with Masking' challenge hosted by the February Leading Lady Rosali. Masking really scares me and I'm not very good at it but how can I expect to get better at something without giving it a go. Here's what I came up with:
 
 

I used one of my favourite W&W stamp sets 'Dog-gone Cute with Evelin T. Designs' as I'm a 'doggie Mum' and love to cuddle them all wherever I go.

I started by working out where the images would go and over-lap. I stamped the dogs on the card front and also on some Inkadinkado Masking Paper. I used my Faber Castell pencils to colour them in, fussy cut the masks and them placed them over the dogs. I was then able to stamp the dog-house over-top and also on some masking paper. This was then fussy cut and put over top. 

As I'm not very good at creating some clouds and didn't have any Winnie and Walter products to do this,  I used a 'Cloud Stencil' from MFT stamps and Distress Ink 'Salty Ocean' to blend the sky area. I then blended 'Mowed Lawn over the bottom part of the card, finishing off by lightly pressing the blending tool to add some texture.

Then came the magical time to remove the masks and I was so shocked that it all worked!!! Yay, maybe its not so scary as I thought! I stamped the sentiment (from the same stamp set) with Catherine Pooler 'Rockin' Red' ink on a white CS circle die-cut from the 'Essentials: Carly's Cutaways' smallest die. I popped this up on foam tape and glued on sequins from Neat and Tangled.

The challenges close in five hours and I still have two more cards to share with you all. I'm very glad I don't have any cards that need to be made today as I don't think I could come up with anything 'happy' or creative. I feel a bit lost like many of us in NZ today.

Take care
Shona
 
 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We really are reeling at the events of the last 24 hours. I was shattered when I first heard yesterday - I was babysitting grandies, and praying that they would not notice the news, as they both have radios in their rooms. Thankfully the tablets took precedence over the radios!
    Love your scene and the doggies are gorgeous - I also have started masking a bit more recently, and loving the results - must be the weather :)
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaaaw, we could all use a cuddle with a pup right about now. And such a cute one too. Love your happy little scene, the pretty clouds, the doghouse and the way you colored your canine friends.

    ReplyDelete