Happy May everybody and hope your having a fantastic weekend!! I'm spending the weekend with my Mum so I'm sure I'll be up to my eye balls in new cards by now!
As we've reached yet another new month, its time for a new theme at The Flower Challenge. This month its all about 'Embossing - Dry/Heat'. I absolutely adore heat embossing and still find it magical after all these years. And I've started experimenting with dry embossing a bit more too recently, so will make sure I do that on my reminder card.
We are very excited to have a prize for you this month. Our Sponsor is Altenew and they are giving a stamp set to our winner. All the details are on the blog and if you haven't discovered Altenew's amazing products already, I suggest to run over there straight away!!
I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos recently, I find them quite relaxing while in bed. I watched a lot of people doing the 'fake watercolour' technique where you colour your stamp, spray with water and then stamp. The results are incredible and I wondered if I could capture them with heat embossing:
I'm so excited with how this turned out but you should have seen the mess I made while experimenting.......
I started by cutting a panel of Strathmore Bristol Smooth CS. Using my MISTI I arranged several stamps from Altenew 'Floral Shadow' over the panel. I used mini-cube Distress inks in 'Peacock Feathers', 'Twisted Citron' and 'Mowed Lawn' to dab colour over the stamps. I sprayed lightly with water and then pressed on the panel. I touched any puddles of water with a tissue and while still in place on the MISTI, I dried it with my heat gun.
Once it was dry I used my static powder bag over the panel, put Versamark ink on the stamps and pressed down the MISTI again. I removed the panel and clear heat embossed. I really wanted a light blue background (like the sky) around my leaves, so I simply blended Distress Ink 'Salty Ocean' over the panel with hardly any ink on the blending tool. And as the leaves were protected by the heat embossing, they weren't affected.
The flower from Altenew 'Wallpaper Art' was clear heat embossed on Strathmore Bristol Smooth CS and watercoloured using Distress Inks 'Picked Raspberry' and 'Mustard Seed'. I fussy cut it out and popped on foam tape. The sentiment (from the same stamp set) was white heat embossed on black CS and put on foam tape, along with sequins from Neat and Tangled.
You have until Saturday 25th May to link your projects to The Flower Challenge and I'll be back on the 15th with another card to give you some more 'embossing' ideas. Look forward to seeing you in the Gallery!!