Saturday 15 June 2019

Fusion Challenge - VW Hippie Van

You won't believe but I actually made two cards last night!!! And they weren't DT cards either. My husband was busy putting our new kitchen cabinet doors on, so I had the lounge room to myself (which includes my craft corner). I put on the first John Wick movie (which I've only seen parts of) and put together two cards that took me days to do the components. Very happy girl!!

When I saw the photo and sketch for the current Fusion Challenge I knew I would have to join. Apart from the van having the most amazing paint job, all those rainbow colours were calling my name!

I received a whole lot of The Stamp Market products last week and still haven't had a chance to use them. However, I was inspired this week by the colours in their solid colour papers and realised I had the same colours in my cross-stitch stash. After watching a video by Channin Pelletier on YouTube where she wraps frames with yarn, I wondered if I could do something similar with the cross-stitch cotton:


 This was so much fun to put together and I could do this every night while watching Netflix!!

What I did was die-cut The Stamp Market 'Love' die from a scrap piece of white CS. I held it over another piece of white CS and gently drew around the letters with a pencil. This showed me what area I needed to cover so I it would fit behind it on a card. 

As I mentioned I used the colours from The Stamp Market solid papers and there are 10 colours. So I worked out with a ruler how big to make each wrap of colour so it was even. I started with the darkest pink and just used a piece of washi tape to hold the end on the back of the CS and would do the same when I finished each colour. I did have trouble with the CS warping a bit but when I finished I added two big strips of washi tape to the back to hold the cottons in place and then cut them all along the middle. This released the strain on the CS and it went flat. It doesn't look pretty but who's going to see it??

To follow on with the 'cross-stitch' theme I die-cut a piece of white CS with a Uniquely Creative 'Cross-Stitch Rectangles Die' and then die-cut the 'Love' from the middle of it. I added lots of tiny pieces of double-sided tape around the back of the word die and pressed it on the cottons. As the cotton part is quite thick, I also added strips of foam tape to hold it up on the card front. I decided not to add more of a sentiment, I just wanted the threads to be the star, so glued on some Neat and Tangled sequins instead.



I'm also going to link this to the Simon Says Stamp - Wednesday Challenge where their theme is 'Wedding/Anniversary'. I realised that cotton is used for the 2nd wedding anniversary and with the word 'love' it was perfect!!



I have another card similar to this to show you but just going to pop into town to help Phoebe buy a printer. She wants to be able to make her own stickers and print pictures of her favourite tv characters/memes etc. As our old printer died it will also give me a chance to try out using some Digital images, which is totally new to me... so its a win/win!!

Take care
Shona
 


 

3 comments:

  1. AWESOMENESS! i know this took you a while but the impact of this card is immense. It is nothing short of "drop dead gorgeous" and so worth your effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is such a gorgeous technique and adds texture as well as the rainbow of colors! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Fusion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous take on the challenge, Shona! I love your alphas and how they pop against the white stitched panel...very cool! Thank you so much for playing along with us at Fusion!

    ReplyDelete