Thursday 21 February 2019

Reminder: TIME OUT Challenge #129

Its yet another hot day today with still no rain. The forecast says we might get rain tomorrow (Friday) and Saturday afternoon but I don't like our chances. Its nearly 8 weeks with no rain and everything is so dry, even the weeds are finding it hard to cope. Funnily enough though I'm sure in a few weeks I'll be complaining because it won't stop raining lol!!



The theme for our current TIME OUT challenge is 'Retro', which we've defined as 'imitating a style or fashion of the recent past'. This is something I absolutely love, especially with regards to furniture and fabric. I'm obsessed with Doris Day and would love to go back to the 50's/60's to be able to dress as fabulously as she did!! You also have the 'optional twist' of 'one-layer' for your project and if you do, you might win a prize!!

I'm very excited to have my friend Sarah Gray as our Sponsor for this challenge. She has her own store at Folksy called Funky Fossil Designs where she sells stencils designed by herself. Her stencils are fantastic and she has so many different ones to chose from, I really recommend checking them out. A random winner will be chosen from those that do the 'optional twist' and they will win 3 stencils from Sarah!!

For my card I knew I wanted to do a lot of stamping to create a 'retro' pattern. I looked at images on Google and was inspired by this one:

I would love this on a skirt or as fabric stretched over a canvas on my wall. After going thru all my stamps I even found the perfect stamp set:
 

I'm so in love with this card pattern, how I wish I could transfer it on to fabric!! It was a lot of fun to make and would be great in other colour combo's too.

I started off by creating a white CS card base. I gathered up dye inks from Hero Arts, Waffle Flower and Altenew and using a stamp set from Stamploration 'Retro Mod Shapes' I stamped away starting in the top left, making it up as I went. 

Once I was finished I needed a sentiment to fit in the middle. I wanted it to be a nod to age, since it was about being 'retro' and found this perfect one from CAS-ual Fridays Stamps 'Frankly'isms' which has an old type font and is also hilarious for a birthday card!!

Unfortunately it didn't look right as a one-layer card and I wanted to create a navy background but didn't have any navy CS. So I made another white CS card base, spread it out flat and masked off part of the back of the card with washi tape. I used Hero Arts Shadow Ink in 'navy' and wiped the ink pad itself over the card front, mainly around the edges. I removed the washi, cut down the stamped panel slightly and put it on a piece of white foam, along with some sequins from Neat and Tangled.

I'm going to link this to the Stamplorations 'Never Ending' Challenge which is for projects using Stamplorations products.



You have until Wednesday 27th February to link your projects to the TIME OUT  challenge. If your struggling with ideas, pop over to the blog to see what the rest of the Design Team and our fabulous Guest Designer Esther of Shoregirl's Creations have created to inspire you. Look forward to seeing your projects in the Gallery!!

Take care
Shona
 

7 comments:

  1. Oh Wow! What an awesome card! I love how you used ink to make a matching navy border, and that background is just fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so in love with this card and your retro pattern stamping. I remember you did something like this a few years ago, and I ran out and bought that little stamp set from Stamplorations. It is such a very cool design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! I almost lost it when I saw this sentiment! So funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a stunner Shona - love how you created the pattern, and that quote is hilarious!
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  5. This pattern evokes a lot of memories from back when I thought it was so modern. You really nailed it with the turquoise colors and the rounded shapes. Brilliant card.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great take on your retro inspiration, Shona ... this is so cool ... of course I love those luscious blues! Hugs, Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!! You can get more retro than that. FABULOUS design. I love the inspiration you found and you executed that idea so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete