Sunday 24 May 2015

The Gossip Column with Taheerah Atchia No. 2 - Geometrics (Take 5)

I promise this will be my last entry. I just had this pattern in my mind and it kept annoying me (like a pesky fly) until I tried it out!

I've really enjoying looking at geometric designs and making entries for the Winnie and Walter - The Gossip Column challenge this month.

I'm a huge fan of Orla Kiely, especially her amazing geometric and retro inspired patterns. I've had an idea for a pattern for months but never had the nerve to try it out but this challenge gave me the push I needed (thanks Taheerah) and I love the result:



Ages ago I won a stamp set from Stamplorations and chose the 'Retro Mod Shapes' set. When it arrived I thought of Orla Kiely straight away, and this pattern. I don't know why I've sat on this idea for so long, maybe because I usually leave so much white space when I design? Who knows but I'm so happy to finally see it somewhere apart from my mind. I think I might even try it in other colours and frame it!!

I don't use rulers or anything like that when I do any repeated stamping. I probably should but I'm terrible with rulers and they seem to make things worse. So, I just started stamping the vertical columns, the dark pink ones first and then the light. I stamped and heat embossed the sentiment in silver and then fussy cut. I cut a banner from vellum and adhered the 'hello' to it with foam tape. That way I could put some double-sided tape on the vellum under the foam tape, so it couldn't be seen.

I wonder what Orla would think of this??????

Take care
Shona
 


 

11 comments:

  1. What a fabulous retro apple print background, Shona ... so very Orla Kiely ... love her patterns too! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH so brilliant, Shona!!! Forget the white space, girl - you need to find a paper company to design for - I'd buy a ream of this one and would love it on wrapping paper, too!!! FAB -U-LOUS! [is it proof of living under a rock that I don't know Orla? Will find her!!]
    =] Michele

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see now you like to make a design paper too and your result is adorable clean and soft I love it
    if me I will put many colors on there hehehe
    love your card so simple and sweet
    hugs
    Monika

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fabulous, Shona!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this design! The colors are perfect, as is the silver. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the retro apple design - so clever with only 2 stamp shapes! Well done! As for that mother - she ought to be left out in the cold for a bit and see if she changes her mind. I hate when I know it's going to be a cold day - I almost want to keep my son home where it's nice and warm. Maybe she thinks it will "toughen " them up??? Some people???

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your fabulous style and those apples are so sweet. They remind me of some dish towels my mom used to have.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like Michele, I had to do some research on Orla...and having done so (super cool!), I can say, with full assurance, that she would LOVE your design! In fact, I think she'd snap it up and create a fabulous purse...or dress...with it! Ultra cool; ultra innovative! Truly, Shona, you are a creative genius!
    Hugs~c

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh now this is awesome - and I can totally see the inspiration right there! I'm so glad my column and challenge resulted in so many great creations from you, and that it gave you a little nudge too! *wink* Thanks for spreading The Gossip on w&w's The Gossip Column!

    ReplyDelete