Sunday 5 July 2020

The Flower Challenge #46

Hi everyone!! Its been a very chilly week here, we've had a few -3 degree celcius frosts and I've had to wait until 10.30am to garden so that everything has thawed out (including my fingers....). The days have been gorgeous though and when the sun comes out its glorious!





 Speaking of weather, our theme for this month at The Flower Challenge is 'Summer/Winter'. You could use the colours of those season's or maybe the flowers that are out at that time of year....its totally up to you!!

For my card I was of course in a 'Winter' state of mind and even got into the Christmas spirit:


I haven't had a chance to colour this Studio Katia image since purchasing months ago and thought it would be perfect for a 'non-traditional' Christmas wreath.

I stamped the 'Floral Wreath' on white CS using Gina K Amalgam black ink. I gave the flowers a basic quick colour with my Altenew Artist Markers in cooler colours with a hint of 'Christmas red'. I then had a play around with my Faber Castell pencils, adding some shading and depth here and there. I fussy cut the image out and then decided I wanted to cut out the middle as well. I actually found a circle die that fit perfectly from CAS-ual Fridays Stamps 'Ornament Tags'.

The wreath didn't look right on its own over the card base so I did the unthinkable and added a panel of vellum (something I hardly ever use) from Rosie's Studio which had spots of silver. I cut it the same size as the card front but didn't want to use glue/tape behind it because it would be seen. So I put the wreath on foam tape on the vellum, turned it over and added double-sided tape behind the shadow of the wreath. It does mean that the vellum isn't adhered at the edges but that's totally fine with me.  

For the sentiment (from Studio Katia 'Origami Winter'  which was my very first Studio Katia stamp set.....) I silver heat embossed on white CS, fussy cut around it and put on foam tape, along with some Silver Pearls, also from Studio Katia.

I'm going to link this to the Simon Says Stamp - Wednesday Challenge where their theme is 'Bright and Cheerful'.


You have until Saturday 25th July to link your projects to The Flower Challenge and if your needing any ideas, pop over to the blog to see what the rest of the Design Team and our fabulous Guest Designer Mac Mable of The Sweetest of Peas have created for you. We will be back with more card ideas on the 15th and I look forward to seeing your projects in the Gallery.

Take care
Shona

9 comments:

  1. The vellum behind the pretty wreath looks fabulous. Great colour combination and a wonderful and contemporary Christmas card x.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think your background choice is awesome. The silver spots remind me of snow and this card's colorful wreath makes it a Christmas treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, Shona this is stunning - love the way you have used the vellum - that adds just so much interest to the crd!
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine
    We had a -3.7 oC frost one morning, and -2's on two other days...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shona, I love the 3D look of this gorgeous Christmas wreath, love the non traditional colors on these pretty flowers.
    The addition of the Vellum was a fabulous idea, it gives this wreath a very festive background, I'm glad you did it this way.
    Love this card.
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so pretty!! I love the flower wreath and the way you popped it up off the card. Stunning design.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another super card here Shona, such a pretty wreath too ;) hugs Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Christmas wreath is beautiful in teal and red, Shona! The silver dotted vellum panel makes the card more festive! It was a great idea to add it! Hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The silver dotted vellum adds to the festive look of your beautifully colored Christmas wreath, Shona.

    ReplyDelete
  9. so pretty...love the dotted bkg.
    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete