Friday 5 June 2020

The Flower Challenge #45

Hi there!! Really hope your all ok and you've all had a drier week than I have. I've only been able to garden once this week and I have washing hanging all over the house...gotta love Winter weather!!





A new month means a new challenge theme at The Flower Challenge and this month is all about using Navy plus one other colour. I love using navy with designs, its not as stark as black and so many colours go with it, which made it hard to choose just one....

For my card I wanted to have one central flower and have it large enough to watercolour, as I wanted to have a go at watercolouring with dark pink and navy:

 

I really enjoyed colouring this flower, was really interesting using two quite dark colours and watching them blend together with water.

I started by gold heat embossing the Ellen Hutson 'Mondo Magnolia' on some watercolour CS. The watercolours I used are from Altenew 'Tropical Fiesta Set' and it has the most incredible 'Desert Night' colour. Using a brush and water I added the blue to the petals from the base and bringing it about 3/4 up. I then used the 'Purple Wine' colour, starting from the end of the petal and heading towards the blue, adding water as I went. I did this about 3x, drying the flower in between. Once I was happy I fussy cut it out.

For the background I added a panel of navy CS to the card front. I then cut a slightly slimmer panel of white CS and stamped the same magnolia in two opposite corners with Hero Arts Shadow Ink Mid Tone 'Navy' which is my favourite navy ink. I glued the panel down and put the magnolia on foam tape. The sentiment (from the same stamp set) was stamped twice in the navy ink and then clear heat embossed  twice with Simon Says Stamp embossing powder. I fussy cut it out and put on foam tape, along with Neat and Tangled sequins.

I'm going to link this to the Simon Says Stamp - Monday Challenge where their theme is 'Make your own Background'.



You have until Thursday 25th June to link your projects to The Flower Challenge and if your needing some ideas, pop over to the blog to see what the rest of the Design Team and our amazing Guest Designer Jenny Hall of Jenny Hall Design have made to inspire you. Can't wait to see all that navy in our Gallery!

Take care
Shona
 

7 comments:

  1. This card left me speechless (a miracle for me). So incredibly beautiful...those colors just knock me out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a stunner Shona - this is amazing!! Fabulous use of the colours on the centre piece, and i love that you used gold embossing on the image.
    We've had a fair amount of rain too - like you we needed it, even if we don't particularly like it :)
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the hot pink tip of the petals which are mainly in gorgeous navy! Awesome coloring, Shona!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made a fabulous card again Shona, I love it!..sorry for the lack of commenting recently too, hugs Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. The blending of your watercoloring is gorgeous, Shona. There is so much dimension it looks like you cut the center of a second flower and added it on top.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shonna, the way you blended the navy blue with the pink on the tips of the petals is amazing, such rich and vibrant colors on this beautiful card.
    Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. so pretty and unique looking....
    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete