Wednesday 8 May 2019

Simon Says Stamp - Wednesday Challenge

I'm supposed to be making dinner right now but need to get these cards linked to the Simon Says Stamp - Wednesday Challenge which closes in a few hours....





I was super excited last week to receive my SSS May Card Kit which is the first one I've ever purchased myself (been lucky to win a few over the years.....). The reason I splashed out on this one is because it contained alcohol inks which is something I've always wanted to try. And since it came with three colours, the blending solution and Yupo paper I thought it would give me a chance to try it out before I go crazy buying all the colours!! 

And I can tell you that now I understand what all the fuss is about, its so much fun:


The kit comes with three Tim Holtz Alcohol Pearl inks in 'Sublime', 'Intrigue' and 'Tranquil' (green, pink and blue). These cards were made with the first panel I did and I didn't want to waste any of it!!

I used a panel of Yupo paper along with the pink and blue alcohol pearl inks, putting the ink randomly on the paper and doing the same with the blending solution. I just left it to do its thing and dry. I can see I have a lot to learn as I moved another panel around and it went all muddy, need a lot more practice!!

When it was dry I die-cut the SSS 'Cosmo Flower Frame' die from it, keeping all the coloured pieces. I also die-cut it from white CS. As the die doesn't cut the frame out completely, I used my Tim Holtz mini-guillotine to create a frame around the edge. I then adhered both die-cuts to white CS, using Gina K Connect Glue for one and a piece of Rosies Studio Adhesive Sheet for the other.


For this card I didn't inlay any pieces, I wanted the colour of the die-cut itself to shine against the white background. I used the guillotine again to cut the white CS and added a square of white foam behind it. I cut a panel of lilac CS and adhered to the card front, with the square frame glued on top. The sentiment (from SSS 'Beautiful Flowers') was white heat embossed on the same lilac CS, fussy cut out and put on foam tape, along with some Neat and Tangled sequins.


This card took a bit longer..... As the white CS had a sheet of adhesive over it, I was easily able to inlay the coloured pieces into the die, not only the flower petals but also around the flower too. I used the guillotine to cut the background white CS to the same size as the frame and glued a piece of white foam to the back. I adhered it to a white card base with the sentiment (from the same SSS stamp set) white heat embossed on pink CS, backed with white CS and put on foam tape. And of course I added a few Neat and Tangled sequins for some shine.

Also going to link to the SSS Flickr Challenge #122 where their theme is 'Mothers Day/Flowers'.

The Simon Says Stamp - Wednesday Challenge theme is 'Happy Birthday' and these two cards are going straight in the mail tomorrow morning to hopefully make it in time for two birthdays, fingers crossed the mailman goes extra fast.....


Better go and concentrate on dinner prep. I've been racing back and forth to the kitchen while writing this as my craft area is a long way away. Gives me a bit of exercise though and thank goodness for kitchen timers as when I start typing I forget about EVERYTHING ELSE!! Many burned dinners can attest to that....

Take care
Shona

1 comment:

  1. Love and own this die. It makes such a pretty outline for alcohol inks as you've just found out. Really happy, vibrant and pretty birthday cards.

    ReplyDelete