Sunday 19 November 2017

Simon Says Stamp - Wednesday Challenge

Its been another whirlwind of a weekend. Luckily the kids have a 'Teachers Only Day' tomorrow so I've got an extra day to catch up with myself. I desperately need to work out how many Christmas cards I have and how many more I need to make before I run out of time. There is so much to do in the next five weeks, its mind boggling!!





Earlier this week I had a chance to play with a new stamp set from Neat and Tangled 'Get Yeti' and I thought the sweet Yeti would be perfect to create a card for the Simon Says Stamp - Wednesday Challenge where their theme is 'Furry Friends':


There is so much glittery shimmer on this card but I couldn't capture it with my camera. I need to work out how to do that as it really makes the card shine!!

I don't create card 'scenes' very often as I don't think I'm very good at it but practice makes perfect right??  I started off by stamping the images on some white CS, colouring with pencils and then fussy cutting out. I used two stitched-curve/hill dies (I purchased them second-hand and don't know what company they are from I'm afraid...) to cut two panels of white CS, one shorter than the other. Once I knew where they would sit on the card I used my mini-distress tool and Distress Ink 'Salty Ocean' to colour the card front for the sky. I then adhered the snowy hills over top.

The mountains were tucked behind the hill, the log cabin glued in place and the snowman and yeti put on foam tape. I heat embossed the sentiment in silver and put that on foam tape as well. And of course I added some Neat and Tangled sequins for more shine.

When I photographed the card I realised that it was looking very 'blah', so I covered the body of the snowman in Wink of Stella and also along the stitched lines of the hills. I used Nuvo Crystal Drops in White to add dimension to the snow on the mountains and the snowman's hat. Once that had dried I added Wink of Stella on top of it as well. For the sky I very carefully put droplets of water from a tiny brush on to it and dabbed with a tissue to make it look like it was snowing....much better!!

Since I don't have to go to bed too early tonight I must attack my Christmas card list and also work out how many cookies I need to make to deliver to friends etc. I also need to work out when I have time to make a few hundred cookies.....it was all so much easier when I wasn't working!!

Take care
Shona
 




 

4 comments:

  1. Consider how boggled my mind is now, too. It's called "under the gun" here, though I don't approve of them. I feel your pain...too much to shove into a very short period of time plus we have an extra holiday over here to celebrate. Fortunately, it just involves days of cooking so you can watch your family consume it in less that 15 minutes.
    I don't know why you think you're not too good at scenes, this one is adorable. Love the yeti with a snowperson. And the mountains and cabin are wonderful additions. It is frustrating when you can't get the camera to pick up shimmer and shine. But this is really sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute little scene, Sho ... that sweet yeti with his snowman pal are just adorable! Great to have you playing along with us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday! Hugs, Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable card! Love the sweet scene you created!! Wonderful coloring too!

    Thank you very much for joining us this week at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog!

    hugs...
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great scene Shona and cute card.... Love your sky

    ReplyDelete