Tuesday 26 February 2019

Simon Says Stamp - Wednesday Challenge - Entry #1

What a busy day we had today!! We had to go over to Nelson early today as Phoebe had an important appointment with her Orthodontist. They took special x-rays and lots of photos. Turns out that even after 2yrs her top and bottom teeth are still sticking out too much (even though they look good to us) and she needs two teeth removed from the top and bottom as there is no room for her last molars and her wisdom teeth. 

We will talk more about it at her next appt in April but means she will definitely have her braces for another two years. She is happy with that though as would rather spend the time getting her teeth looking perfect. After that seriousness it was time for lots of shopping, eating and the trampoline park....good fun!!!!



Its nearly 9.45pm Tuesday here and feels like 12am as we got back quite late. Gave me enough time though to photograph this card and link it to the Simon Says Stamp - Wednesday Challenge 'No Stamps Allowed' before it closes:
 

You wouldn't believe it but this design came about because I had a complete disaster with my stencil and there was no way I was going to waste all the hard work I had put into it!

Using my SSS 'Folk Dance' stencil I held it down with washi tape over a piece of Strathmore Bristol Smooth CS. I blended Distress Oxide inks - Picked Raspberry, Cracked Pistachio, Mermaid Lagoon, Squeezed Lemonade, Spiced Marmalade and Shaded Lilac in patches over the stencil, blended the colour edges together and created a rainbow panel. I let it dry for a bit and then spread over some Nuvo Glimmer Paste 'Moonstone' in a thin layer and this is where it turned to custard.....

Max asked if I wanted to go on the trampoline and of course I said yes. Usually we only go out for a little while so thought the stencil would be fine but Phoebe came out too and we were on there for AGES!! I then forgot about it for a few hours and it was only when I came back to my desk after dinner that I remembered. It had completely dried and when I tried to remove the stencil it kept removing patches of Glimmer Paste and some layers of CS. The two triangles on this card are the only pieces left that weren't damaged. Will never do that again!!

So, I cut the triangles so they fitted on the card front. It looked a bit strange up against the white background so I used my Tim Holtz small trimmer to cut tiny strips of black CS and adhered them along the edge with Gina K Connect Glue. I attached the bigger triangle first with double-sided tape.  The smaller one on top looked strange because it bent over the bottom one so I made a layered CS square to put under the top corner to give it some support.

The sentiment (SSS 'Whoa! You're Amazing!!') was die-cut from black CS and also from silver glitter paper. I glued the die to some black CS, inlaid the letters and then cut around it. This was then put on a piece of black foam and I glued on some iridescent jewels from Pretty Pink Posh. I love how this turned out so maybe the disaster was the best thing that could have happened!

I'm going to link this to the Simon Says Stamp - Flickr Challenge #117 where their theme is 'Colouring'. I'm not 100% sure if my colouring of the background with the stencil and Oxide inks is the right 'colouring' but I'm sure they will tell me if not.

Think its time for me to jump into bed. I can't believe there are only two more days of February to go. I feel like I've just had Christmas and yet two months have whizzed by. I know people say time goes faster when you get older but by the time I'm 60yrs old I will be blinking and losing a year!!

Take care
Shona
 

 

2 comments:

  1. Kind of glad you had to cut this apart. It's very artsy and very cool. The black strips are a perfect accent.
    Hope you got some rest after your busy day. Sorry about Phoebe's teeth...I'm sure it will all come out in the end. If this year continues to fly by like the first 2 months, it'll be the holidays again before we know it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing and dramatic 'save' Shona - initially I thought oh what a disaster, as no doubt you did too, but you made a wonderful card with the remnants! Good for the lateral thinking processes!
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete